Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pantry Staples

I wrote in my previous post that I've been living out of the pantry and haven't been to the store, which was a lie because I totally made a beer run. But I haven't done any real shopping.

Last night I was totally craving bread to have with my dinner, and of course, had nada. I love to bake bread and I have a little baking station so I whipped some up. I used a sandwich bread recipe.



Bread Recipe
I switched it up a bit

INGREDIENTS:
1 T brown sugar
1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 c warm skim milk (100° to 110°)
1 1/2 T butter, melted and cooled, divided (1 T for the dough and 1/2 for the top)
2 c AP Flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1 t salt
cooking spray ( I use an olive oil sprayer) Misto Olive Oil Sprayer

I mixed and let it rise per the instructions, but I always do a second rise, I think it helps with the flavor. Also, I decided to do a boule instead. I put corn meal on a baking sheet and dumped the risen ball on it. I let it rise again for 30 minutes and cut a diagonal pattern with a sharp knife. I preheated the oven to 450 but lowered it to 375 immediately when the bread went in. Then baked it for 30 minutes( I always check after 25.) It was totally yummy, I never make white bread, but I think I may try soon with this recipe because itwas delicious.

1 comment: