Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fiber & Prunes & The Original Plum Torte

Ugh...Prunes and fiber does not sound like something I want to mess with on a regular basis. But according to one of my favorite blogs on http://www.runnersworld.com/ prunes are great for bone health and fiber is even better than previously thought for cardiovascular health (why I eat my oats in the morning.)

I have to say, I've never eaten a prune in my life. So I wanted to find a recipe for a great prune cake that I could incorporate some fiber into. This way my husband won't make fun of me eating cake every day(I hope). Cake is my favorite thing, so I have to find a somewhat healthy way to incorporate it into my diet.
I'm thinking I can use prunes as I would any dried fruit. So I'm going to use one of my favorite recipes with a few substitutions.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 c margarine, softened
1/4 splenda
1/2 c sugar plus 1 or 2 tablespoons sugar
1/3c whole wheat flour
1/4 c oatmeal (instant)
1/2 c flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 c egg substitute
Pinch salt
24 dried prune slices, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes and drained
1 teaspoon cinnamon or more, to taste

DIRECTIONS
1. Arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream the margarine and the 1/4 c splenda and 1/2 c of sugar. Add the flour, oats, baking powder, egg substitute, and salt and beat to mix well. Spoon the batter into an ungreased 9- or 10-inch springform pan. Cover the top with the runes. Mix the cinnamon with the remaining 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar and sprinkle over the top.
3. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool; refrigerate or freeze if desired.
4. To serve, let the torte return to room temperature and reheat at 300 degrees until warm, if desired. Serve plain or with vanilla ice cream.

I will post a picture of this in the next day or 2

No comments:

Post a Comment