Thursday, February 5, 2009

Grapefruit Halibut

First off, I don't love fish but my husband adores it, thus I have to make it at least once a month. We also have a freezer full of halibut from an Alaskan fishing trip my husband took that we have to use.
I don't like the smell of fish being cooked, so I wanted to try a recipe that could be grilled. I really don't like the stuff, so I didn't want to have to smell it in the house. I know that everyone says good fresh fish doesn't smell or taste fishy. We had the freshest of fish, so I know that's a bunch of bollocks. I know I sound so whiny but I'm getting to the point here.
So, as I said previously, fish is not my favorite food, so I wanted a very easy recipe that took very little handling. In this recipe I used grapefruit because we had a grapefruit tree, but I assure you lemons or oranges will be equally as good. But there's something about the sour-sweet of the grapefruit that is a nice balance.

Citrus Halibut

INGREDIENTS:
2 1 inch thick halibut steaks (other firm white fish works well too)
1 Grapefruit
4 cloves garlic smashed
2 T olive oil
course salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Heat Grill to medium high
Make sure the grill is clean otherwise the fish WILL stick
Squeeze juice of the grapefruit into a reclosable plastic bag
Add smashed garlic and 1 T of olive oil and let sit for 10 minutes
Rub salt and pepper onto steaks
Add halibut to bag and let marinate no more than 5 minutes
(This is an extremely acidic marinade and if it is left for any longer the fish will break down) Brush grill with remaining olive oil
Grill halibut for 4 minutes then turn and grill 4-6 minutes longer
Thinner steaks will grill in as little as 5 minutes

So quick, so easy, and seriously no mess. You put the mess in the plastic marinating bag and no smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment