Friday, February 20, 2009

Caramelized Onion Flatbread

I really enjoy baking bread. I started doing it by hand only, no dough hook, no bread machine. I like the action of the kneading and I love the fact that it takes a little time to make but that the product is so amazing. I'm definitely better at cooking than baking but I've found some pretty fool proof recipes for breads that make baking fun and easy.
For the flatbread, I use a pizza dough recipe that's pretty great. I just roll it out extra thin. Remember that doughs fight back, so you have to use a lot of strength and really punch them down. I also sub in whole wheat flour for 1 cup of white flour. So you get this super tasty honey whole wheat crust.
Follow the crust recipe for cooking instructions but here are the ingredients for the toppings.

INGREDIENTS:

1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
2T light cream cheese, room temp
2T sour cream
3T skim milk
2T olive oil
dash nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c shredded of any white, mild cheese ( swiss, gruyere, fontina, jarlsberg, monterey jack, etc.)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat skillet to medium heat and add the olive oil, let heat up for a few minutes
Add chopped garlic
Add sliced onions and stir to coat
Cook for 10 minutes stirring intermittently, every 30 seconds or so
If the onions begin to stick to the bottom of the pan, add 1 T of water to 'deglaze' the onions
I like the onions lightly caramelized but if you want to cook them longer, you can
When onions are finished cooking, remove them from pan and set aside to cool
Mix other ingredients in a seperate bowl
Add onion mix to cream mix and spread onto uncooked flatbread
Cover the flatbread in the white cheese
Bake according to instructions in link

This is a pretty versatile recipe; you can add chicken to the flatbread to make it an entree or just serve it with a big salad for a complete meal. I've also added canadian bacon and some pineapple, which is super yummy. I toss the pineapple in with the onions in the middle of the caramelization and the pineapple get's this amazing grilled flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment