Friday, January 30, 2009

Cheese of the Goat

Adam, my husband, was at home today, for once, so I had to come up with 3 meals on the fly. I was able to come up with french toast for breakfast from a leftover demi baguette. Lunch was more difficult, it seemed like I was missing main ingredients of everything I craved. I always have basic staples on hand but wanted something different. I remembered I had some chevre and that got the ball rolling.

Beet & Chevre Salad with Mediterranean Grilled Chicken

SALAD
4 cups baby greens
1 sm can sliced beets
1 sm log chevre sliced
1/4 cup chopped pecans

DRESSING
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
2 t brown sugar
1 T chopped garlic or 1 t garlic powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper

CHICKEN
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 t garlic powder
1 t lemon pepper
1 t chopped or dried basil
salt to taste
cooking spray

DIRECTIONS
Prepare dressing by placing all ingredients in blender for 1 minute, set aside
Assemble salad in separate dishes, layer greens sliced beets and sliced goat cheese
Season chicken and place in greased grill pan or frying pan on medium
Cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through
Slice chicken and add onto salad
Sprinkle pecans on each dish and add dressing to taste

Makes 4 Servings

This is so good and so good for you! Beets are one of those vegetables that everyone needs to incorporate into their diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment