Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sausage and Greens

My blog program has been acting up lately so I haven't posted because I haven't had the time or want to deal with it. I actually tried to post yesterday but the formatting got totally screwed, so hopefully I can muddle through it today.

This year is the first year my husband and I have had a real garden. It's our first home and the first time we've had space to do anything more than some potted tomatoes and herbs. We have mountains of zucchini that are nearly ready for harvest and lots of tomatoes and herbs. We also have collard greens, and lots of them. They were actually a mistake, my husband hates greens and I meant to plant broccoli. So I have been trying to find ways to use them so my husband will eat them and enjoy it.

I found this recipe for a sausage and collard green pasta a few weeks ago and I tried it on myself. I love collard greens and pretty much any type of greens for that matter, so this was right up my alley. The pairing of the sausage gave the dish enough flavor so that the greens were not too bitter or overpowering. I'm going to try this dish on my husband tomorrow, hopefully with good results.

Ingredients:
1 bunch collard greens, about 1 lb. stems removed, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced crosswise into half inch slices ( I remove the full vein out because I think the texture is better)
3 T olive oil
1 T minced garlic (I used 2 cloves and will use 3 next time)
1 t hot pepper flakes (she says this is optional, but I think it is a must)
5 links hot turkey Italian Sausage 12 oz. ( I would say 1 link per person is about right, so I'll use 2)
Pasta (she uses 3/4 of a box or about 6 servings, I will probably use 1/2 a box)
salt-pepper to taste
Grated parmesan
Directions:
Bring small pot of water to boil, add sausage and cook at low boil 10 minutes
Let sausage cool and slice
Bring large pot of water to a boil, add sliced collards and boil 5-7 minutes, until tender
Remove collards from water, keep water in the pot and bring back to a boil
When water comes to a boil, add pasta and a small amount of salt and cook 9-10 minutes
Reserve 1 cup pasta water then drain pasta
While pasta cooks, in large skillet, heat 2 T olive oil and add sliced sausage and brown until well browned on both sides
Remove sausage and add remaining T olive oil and garlic and red pepper and cook 2 minutes, scraping bottom of pan to get browned sausage bits
Add collards and saute 2 minutes, then add pasta and enough cooking liquid to moisten dish, and cook 2 minutes more
Taste and season with salt and pepper
Serve hot with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

  1. this sounds and looks amazing, I am having a giveaway you might be interested in, it will be over on monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 04, 2009

    YUM YUM YUM! I love anything that has to do with Sausage and Pasta! I'm definitely trying this one out!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete